1.23.2010

The Help

I completely stole this post idea from the Smarty Pants Blog (thanks Chey-Anne)! Unlike my old neighborhood friend/blogger friend, I like to venture out and read different kinds of books. I have my favorites. I like to read most of the fluff by Nicholas Sparks, I still read Danielle Steele on occasion, and I “heart” all things Mary Higgins Clark. I just always feel like the best book ever is just out there waiting around the corner and I want to read it…I just don’t want to pay for it. I am cheap when it comes to buying hardback books and just can’t stand the thought of paying 25.00 for a new release. I can’t read books more than once and so a few days after purchasing it…I am passing it off to someone else. Our library just doesn’t seem to have what I want most of the time so I am left with purchasing it or using one of my audible credits to get the audio book. Which brings me to how I found the book that now sits at #1 of my most loved books ever list.
List of Most Loved Books Of all Time- (to be added to later)
#1 – The Help
150px-Thehelpbookcover
The novel is told from the perspective of three characters. Abileen, a middle aged African American maid who has spent her life raising white children and has recently lost her only son; Minny, an African American maid who has often offended her employers despite her family's struggles with money and her desperate need for jobs; and Skeeter, a young white woman who has recently moved back home after graduating college to find out her childhood maid has disappeared without a word. These three stories intertwine to explain how life in Jackson, Mississippi revolves around "the help"; yet they are always kept at a certain distance because of racial lines. (copied from web site)
I must tell you that you HAVE to listen to this as an audio book. It is the only way. I have heard that most people loved reading the book, but I just can’t imagine not hearing each of the different voices telling their stories. My favorite character was Miss Minny. The person that narrates her part does such an outstanding job. I kept having to remind myself that it was just a book. It felt so real. I literally laughed out loud listening to her complain about her employers.
I could really relate to this book in a way because I grew up hearing my great grandmother and grandmother talk about living in East Texas and reliving stories about the domestic help that my Nanny Campbell befriended when they passed through her neighborhood while walking home from their jobs. I LOVED hearing these stories.
The best thing is that it has been optioned for a movie…I….can’t…wait! If they do not cast Octavia Spencer as Miss Minnie (the actress that voiced the same character in the book) I may have to boycott!
So, head over to audible and download this book onto your Ipod and then be amazed at how easy it is to put on your headphones and start cleaning your house…you will actually be looking for one more chore to do…so you can listen just a little longer.

*** other books I have read recently and really enjoyed:
The Hunger Games (loved loved loved this book and it's sequel)
Sarah's Key - haunting and beautiful - thanks mom
The Book Thief - I loved this book but it was a very challenging read
The Thirteenth Tale - enjoyed
The Glass Castle - oh my goodness....loved loved loved it

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH WOW! You DO have your share of that nasty white stuff! Glad I am not the only one.

Just wanted to let you know, I appreciated your gentle nudge and posted a slew of pictures over 4 entries on my fam blog. Mostly pictures since I am lacking the creative writing bug these days. Better late than never, huh? xoxo

HUGS!

Amy said...

Sounds like a good book! I still have Sara's Key. My mom is reading it. I will get it to you when she is done!! Thanks a million.