9.16.2009

Jason's Deli Chicken Salad



We discovered while living in Lubbock that the local Jason's Deli let an unlimited number of kids eat free on Monday nights - so all five of us could eat and we only paid for two meals. Let's just say that there was only a handful of Mondays missed! LOL It was our known Monday night destination. The funny thing is...it was the same for many other local families. You started to notice the same people week in and week out!

My usual Monday night fare was the chicken salad sandwich - so light and refreshing. I decided not long ago that I wanted to recreate it at home. It is super easy and really taste better than the original version.
Side Note: Cambry always called it Jason's Jelly. Ü

Recipe:

cubed or shredded cooked chicken
crushed pineapple, drained
crushed slivered almonds
miracle whip (try not to use low-fat)

Now, I don't have exact measurements. I just start with whatever amount of chicken I have, add the amount of pineapple and almonds I want to taste - and then just add enough miracle whip so that the ingredients bind together. My estimate would be 2-3 cups of chicken, 1/2 cup pineapple, and 1/4 to 1/2 cup crushed almonds. You can salt and pepper to taste.
Really yummy - may seem like "chic food"...but Chance LOVED it! We served ours on these really cool Sara Lee sandwich rounds that I found at the grocery store. They were very good!

Warning - Martha Stewartish helpful hint below:

***I always buy the cheap frozen chicken breasts (green bag) from walmart and I bake them in foil with a little salt, pepper, and a T. of butter for 30 minutes. I place them in the freezer (still in foil) and then just thaw out how many I need for any given recipe. I place them back in the oven (set to 300) and warm them up so they are easy to slice or cube. It is so nice having cooked seasoned chicken ready whenever I need them.


This picture shows about 10 chicken packets ready for the oven - I can get around three meals out of this amount.

1 comment:

Chey-Anne Smart said...

How much do you love the new sandwich rounds??? Love love love them. Ok, so I made chkn salad Tues and I think my little chopper chops the chicken too fine. It's like a "spread" and it tends to gag me. Is yours super sweet with the Miracle whip? That is a great idea with the Walmart chicken-I buy that too. That would be great to throw on a salad the way you cook and freeze it.