12.07.2008

Memory Pieces

Generations from the past were so much better about being sentimental about small insignificant (but oh so important) things - such as the old beat up cake pan that their great grandmother always made their favorite cake in, the special crocheted afghan that always sat over the back of the recliner, or the Christmas decoration that was always front and center on the fireplace mantle. The later generations just seem to be less sentimental about the stuff that is passed down to them. My husband was very excited to receive a small dutch oven from his Nano when she moved to an assisted living center. You could see the memories twinkle in his eyes when he talked about the hundreds of pieces of chicken that had been lovingly fried in that small pan two or three pieces at a time - until a huge platter was filled to overflowing.


My mom in recent years has been collecting some neat pieces to pass down to her kids and grand kids. It made me think about what my own children would remember me using in the kitchen or around our house. What "memory piece" would they hope to have someday. I failed to come up with much, so I made it a mission of mine to collect at least a few of these sentimental treasures. My first piece I added this past Mothers Day. We are always making pancakes! It is one of our favorite breakfasts to have together and with friends. I found this Pancake Keeper in an antique store. It comes out every time we make pancakes and keeps them nice and warm. I love it and am so happy that the kids bought it for me for Mother's Day. It was the perfect gift.

I recently received a few memory pieces from my Grandmother and Grandaddy Roark's house. My favorite is the special Snowman Punchbowl that served the spiked Christmas punch every Christmas Eve. She still had things that she used all of the time that she had received as wedding gifts over fifty years ago. They truly valued the things they were given - we should all make more effort to do the same. Do you have special memory pieces? Be sure to post in the comments and share your special memories.

7 comments:

jana said...

Oh Lord that fried chicken! It REALLY amazes me how and WHY she fried chicken for all 25-30 of us. She Must REALLY love us to slave away at the stove for that long. OH NANO what a WONDERFUL WOMAN!

jana said...

I love that punch set. I think that is one of the cutest things i've seen. I'd love to have some spiked punch out of those mugs anytime!

Jerilynn said...

yeah! we are for sure going to have to have some spiked punch!
I think it is actually called southern comfort punch and has fruit in it! YUM

Stacy White said...

I have a few pieces that my grandmother used. She was from the generation that didn't fix their plates buffet style in the kitchen. She "plated" everything into bowls and placed it on the table to be passed. I have several of those bowls, and every now and then I serve supper like she did. I will say it gives a much warmer feel to supper.

Faith said...

You took me off your blog list!!!!! I just can't believe that, put me back on, I'm demanding!!!
P.S. That's a neat idea to add memory pieces, it's been in my mind so maybe I'll find something to pass to my kids.

Jerilynn said...

I keep trying too...it adds it and when I refresh it - it isn't there! I'll keep trying.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I had plenty of fun Christmas Eve's with that punch bowl!