I have never been a biscuit fan. I am not a huge fan of jellies or jams or any of the things that go with the likes of biscuits…not counting gravy….love love love cream gravy! Sad news for my thighs and rear region – I think I discovered the problem….canned biscuits! Now, there is nothing wrong with canned biscuits. They have served me well in the last 19 years of my married life, but I decided not long ago that I needed a good homemade biscuit recipe in my arsenal of “go-to” recipes. I played around with several and finally settled on the recipe below. I love the way it fluffs up and seems almost cakey…without losing its biscuity qualities. {I love inventing words like biscuity}!
One subject that will always inevitably be mentioned anytime Nano’s (Chance’s sweet grandmother) name comes up – are her delicious home baked biscuits. She had such a knack for creating yummy memorable foods. I just can’t help but want to be like her. I know that not long after I married Chance I tried to make her biscuits and failed miserably! I should have kept trying because they truly are a cinch to make and ohhhh so yummy! I am including in this post a picture of Nano’s recipe that has been scaled down for two people. It is in her own handwriting and is a treasure for sure.
Jerilynn’s Buttermilk Biscuits
2 C. flour
1 T. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 to 3 T. sugar (to taste – I like a sweeter biscuit)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick unsalted butter (cubed and cold)
3/4 C. buttermilk
*** Mix dry ingredients – cut in butter with pastry blender or with your fork/fingers until crumbly. Add buttermilk and mix until smooth and sticky. Roll out to about 3/4 to an inch thick and cut with biscuit cutter or knife (I just roll out into a rectangle and then cut with a knife…square biscuits are really cool looking plus you don’t have to re roll your dough. The less you handle your dough the more tender your biscuits. Place them close together (they rise higher when placed close together on the baking sheet) Bake at 450 for approx. 10 minutes. Brush with melted butter as soon as they come out of the oven.

No comments:
Post a Comment